facebookrsspinterest

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Oh...can it!

Within the past few years, I've had a small obsession with canning.

I remember my Grandma Bea canning everything from her garden - green beans, pickles, and the like. The ball jars lined an earthy ledge in her cellar. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to be that she still has green beans from 1982!

Unfortunately, I am not gifted when it comes to the world of food. I know, I know. You totally wouldn't know that by looking at me. lol

I have a tendency to burn water, turn homemade yellow cake into cornbread and generally screw up anything that I try to cook or bake.

However, Justin got me an amazing gift for Christmas - one that I had put on my list a few years prior but never received. (Probably because he knows that I would mess everything up. Good thinking on his part)

I received a Ball canning set for beginners, a collapsable funnel and a jar gripper (to pull the hot jars out of the boiling water).

Now...this may not sound exciting, but I was all sorts of giddy! There are so many things that I can make and preserve!

So...I put my abilities to the test last night - I made homemade no added sugar apple butter and preserved it!

To be completely transparent, I made it for my mom for her birthday (which is on Friday). The girl that has everything is receiving homemade apple butter and freshly baked bread (by me, of course!) for her big day! I mean really...who doesn't love delicious food?!

And just in case you want the how to's of this delicious recipe, they are listed here.


Enjoy!
 
Lorie

2 comments:

  1. At first when I started to read your post I was all, "how boring a post about canned goods" BUT now I'm kind of wishing I could can something. Maybe I need to add this onto my birthday list.

    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa!

    I'm so glad that you stopped by! :) I will say that my one experience with canning was awesome. I can't wait to do it again.

    And I think that you should add it to your birthday list and let me know how your first project goes!

    Hugs!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete