facebookrsspinterest

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

You just did what????

Let's face it. I'm a huge exercise dropout. It's never really been "my thing". I've never been the person to just go for a run (or walk for that matter). Why exert physical force when I can run my mouth and be equally as happy?

Somewhere along this long and winding road, I discovered that I actually like working out. I know! It shocked the hell out of me too! lol. I actually like going to Zumba on Wednesdays and getting my ass kicked. It's crazy...I never thought that I would actually get to that point.

Well...apparently I'm at the point where I want to incorporate more physical exertion into my life.

So...I signed up to run a 5K in July. Duh...duh...duh. That's right...your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. I signed up to run the Color Me Rad 5K race on July 21. If you've never seen the event, you should totally check it out at http://www.colormerad.com/. Just so that you can see what I'm getting into, here are a couple of pics from past events:



You start the race in a white t-shirt and end the race looking like a brightly colored easter egg. I can hardly wait.

So...what prompted me to sign up to run a 5K when all that I really know how to do is run my mouth? Good question.

In all honesty, I've been overcome by this whole new "I can do it" attitude. Not that it wasn't there before, but my determination and perseverance is at a whole new level. Maybe it's the fact that I've dropped 25.8 pounds and actually can do it without getting completely winded. I don't really know...but I'm going to run this race.

With that in mind, I started training yesterday. I downloaded the Couch to 5K app to my phone, rocked out to my iPod and let the program work its magic on me. I warmed up with a five minute walk, jogged for a minute, walked for a minute, repeated that process and then cooled down with a five minute walk. Now...if you know my neighborhood, you will understand what an accomplishment that task was for me yesterday. If you don't know my neighborhood, let me describe it in one word - HELL. It is an unforgiving, mountainous landscape that makes everyone cry - even little bunnies.

So...needless to say, this week has been one of great endurance and positive outcomes. I signed up to run a 5K, I actually started training, I lost two pounds this week AND I reach a milestone of losing 25 pounds.



What an awesome week.

No comments:

Post a Comment